
So, I was summoned to jury duty this week and knew for sure I would never be picked for a jury. I thought my ideas are too conservative, I'm a mommy, a teacher, a Christian...I just thought I wouldn't be picked. Saturday I called to find out that I did have to go on Monday, based on my summons number. Well, Monday began and I was put in a jury pool for a judge, we sat and sat and sat, were told to take a lunch 11:30 to 1 and then to return to sit, sit sit some more. At 2:30, we were told to take a 30 minute break, like anyone needed one, we were just sitting after all. At about 3:30, they told us that our case had settled out of court, and we were free to go, but we needed to call back Monday night at 7:00 p.m. to see if we had to attend Tuesday. I called at 6:40, and there were only 130 numbers that needed to come, and I was one! So, Tuesday, I went and was put into a jury pool where I sat and sat and sat, and then finally, we went to a courtroom. I was given a number and then the group of us...37 in all were asked very general questions and we held up our numbers if our answer was yes. I was then given lunch from 11:30 till 2! I reported back at 2 and was then taken in a group of 12 back into the courtroom. This time, I sat in a jury box. I was called out by my name and the district attorney and then the defense attorney asked me questions about myself and questions about how I'd answered the questions they had asked during the general question time. This was so nerve-racking! Still, I'm thinking there is no way I'll be picked. My group was the last to be questioned individually, so after that, we were all escorted back to the courtroom (I forgot to mention that when not in the courtroom, we are in a big room called the jury assembly room which has maybe 300 chairs in it, lots of magazines, bathrooms and vending machines). In the courtroom, they begin the process of eliminating the jurors that they don't want in front of us. BUT they do it in SILENCE. One of the workers in the courtroom carries a piece of paper about two feet from one attorney to the other. And, silently they are striking names. When this is over, numbers and names are called out as jury members. Wouldn't you know, my name and number were the last ones called. I was SHOCKED! What? You mean I'm on a jury? Tony was not too happy because now, what we thought would just be a day or two of me sitting at the court house has now become me on a jury with a trail to attend. Tuesday I left as a juror on a trial that I knew little about. Wednesday, the trial began, and I was so intrigued. Not because the case was all that interesting, it just felt important. I took lots of notes during the trial which only lasted morning, lunch break and then part of the afternoon. After the judge read us the charge that was being given to the jury, she called me out BY NAME and said that I was the alternate juror and that I would not be in the deliberation room. So, while the jury went into one deliberation room, I went into another...ALONE. I hadn't been prepared for this, but I did have my Bible and a word find book. So, I read all of 1 Samuel, did lots of word finds and sang a bunch...for 2 and 1/2 hours! It kinda felt like I was going a little crazy! I got to leave at 5:00 p.m., and had to return today at 10:00 a.m. Today, I went a lot more prepared. I had a book, my Ipod and a DVD player and movies. They took my jury promptly at 10, but told me that I could stay out in the jury assembly room today...this was much better, not so confined, and there were other people. At about 12 the jury came out and we were taken to the cafeteria for a free lunch where we all sat together. I don't think I've mentioned that the judge told us as soon as we knew even the slightest thing about the case that we were not to speak about it to ANYONE, not even each other, and being that I LOVE to talk, this was driving me crazy. They were all discussing this case in the jury room, and I had no where to voice my input. Anyway, after lunch, I went to the back of the jury assembly room where there was a chair close to a plug and I was going to begin a movie. There were three men back there that I had seen all morning. I asked them if they were also alternates, and they were. They were alternates on a murder trial that had taken 2 weeks. Their jury had started deliberation that morning. They reached a verdict before my jury. About 3:15, the bailiff came and got me from the jury room and I marched back into the jury box with my fellow jurors, not knowing anything that was going on. The judge asked the foreman to stand. "Have you reached a unanimous verdict?" "No, we have not your honor." "Do you think that with more deliberation, you would be able to come to a unanimous decision?" No, I do not your honor." The judge declared a mistrial and told us that she would come to the jury room to speak with us if we had any questions for her. People just asked about the charge, what the potential sentence could have been, etc. She also told us that we could speak with the attorneys if we wanted, that it would probably be helpful for them in deciding how they might proceed. A big group of us met the defense attorney outside the courtroom and spoke with him for about 20 minutes. I didn't have a lot to say because I hadn't been in the room with them, but he asked who thought guilty and who thought not guilty. Jurors told him different details that they were curious about and he took notes that would help him if the case goes to trial again. Overall, I think it was so interesting being involved, even as the alternate juror. Who knew that the alternate doesn't even get to listen to the deliberations taking place? This blog was so long b/c it was my first chance to tell my story!!! So, what did I get out of jury duty? 1 free meal in the cafeteria...$8.00, 4 days of service...$120, an inside look at a courtroom and how the judicial system works...priceless!
No comments:
Post a Comment