I can't believe I've waited this long to post this about Hudson's birthday party! I put some of these pictures in a post at least a month ago, and I am just now getting back to it! This was one of the most fun birthday party's we have had. Parties are always fun when you use a little creativity and things you already have! There are lots and lots of pictures, so I am going to tell about the party up here and then you can scroll down and see all the fun! The boys usually come up with a birthday theme quite a while before their birthday, and Hudson wanted to have a super hero party. Originally, he just wanted boys and their daddy's, but I convinced him that there needed to be girl superheroes there too! We decided to have it at Grayson Park, where you can reserve a pavillion for free! I made the superhero capes out of an old sheet, ribbon I already had, scrap material and sticky felt I bought. I made their letters out of the die cut machine at school and traced them on the felt. The wrist bands were a last minute entry and I just cut them out of felt that I had on hand and used velcro I already had for the closures. The masks and crowns were made from a pack of foam I bought at the dollar store!
To start the party, I sat all the kids down at one of the picnic tables and asked them if they were ready for some super hero training in order to become super heroes. Their eyes lit up and they were ready to go. My sweet Tony had agreed to be our "super villain" for the day, and he ran up and said he was going to try to ruin the birthday fun. He dropped some balloons that I told the kids were bombs and they needed to diffuse by jumping on them and popping them! After they completed this task, they received their wrist bands. Next, I told them we needed to do some training like super heroes and climb the rock wall at the park...like Spiderman, and then go across the bridge and fly down the slides...like Superman. When they completed this task, they were rewarded with their very own cape. Next, the supervillain was back with what he thought would zap all of their superpowers...kryptonite (rocks I had spray painted green). But, we were ready! The kids had to use kitchen tongs to pick up the kryptonite and put it in our hazardous waste container. I told them if they touched it with their hands, they would lose their superpowers, and they needed those to help stop the super villain. After the kryptonite was disposed of, they were rewarded with their best defense against the super villain, their masks or crowns. I told them that this hides their identity. Finally, the super villain came back one more time and said he knew how to take all of the birthday fun...he was going to destroy the CAKE. I quickly gave them each a water gun and they took off running after the super villain. they caught him by surrounding him and squirting him with their water guns. Then, the police (my brother dressed in some police gear from my friend Christa) came and took the super villain to jail. The super heroes had won! They were all so excited! We put the water guns away and played on the playground for a while before the cake. After the cake, we had our homemade pinata to break. I didn't do favor bags, we just made bags for them to put their treats from the pinata in, and of course, they got to keep all of their super hero gear! Most importantly, my boy enjoyed his 5th birthday party, and hopefully it will be one he will remember for many years to come! I have to say a special thanks to two of my girls in my youth small group from church...Kelci and Brittany. They spent the night with me the night before and helped me finish last minute preps for the party. Kelci made all the masks and crowns and Brit made all the treat bags! They also were great sounding boards for how to get that cake looking pretty cool!

















3 comments:
You guys are super-creative when it comes to parties... till today, our kids still use their superheroes costumes from the party.
One Word:
FANTASTIC!!!
Becky--I LOVE this party idea! If you are okay with my stealing it, and if Caleb wants a superhero party, I am going to use some of your ideas! I'd also like to link to your post on my blog, so let me know if that bothers you in any way.
You're so creative!
Post a Comment