Sunday, December 5, 2010

Our new sweet addition

This post is long overdue and I think I started working on it about a month ago. It's quite long, so if you make it to the end...let me know! :) Here's a current picture of little man:
We are thrilled that our new little guy arrived safely and is healthy! We are all quite smitten with him and adjusting to life with him in our house!

His arrival: Tuesday, November 16, was a regular work day. I had switched days that week so that I could be off on my actual due date to attend a Thanksgiving feast at Hudson's school. I worked all day, with people at school of course making comments about when the baby was coming, etc. I had a few contractions during the day, one I can remember when I was sitting in another teacher's room working on goals that we had to change a little. But, nothing that made me think that baby would soon be on his way. I sat on the floor during math time while I was teaching. Then, I changed into some bedroom slippers I had taken to school that day because my feet were starting to hurt. And, wouldn't you know, the very next minute, the principal walked in to observe me! I was in the middle of explaining a sheet the kids were going to do about Pilgrim kids (after we had read a book about Pilgrims) and all I could think was that I had on bedroom shoes. Seriously...I could think of nothing else...I was speaking words to the class, but my mind was repeating "you are wearing bedroom shoes, you are wearing bedroom shoes"...HA! Tuesdays are late school days, so I stayed until about 4:30 p.m. When I got out of the car, I had a contraction, but nothing to get excited about. We ate dinner about 5:30, and I was super tired, so I took a shower and then laid down to rest before our bedtime routine. At 6:39 p.m., I had a contraction that took my breath away and I had to really breathe through it. I called Tony in immediately and told him that I wasn't positive, but I thought I was in labor. (Having had 3 kids before, I really thought this was probably it...but I didn't want to jump the gun and go ahead to the hospital and have them say...go back home) He asked if he could take a shower...sure...so he did. I have another contraction. I try to call my mama and don't get an answer. I call my daddy and tell him that I am not sure, but I might be in labor. At this point, I've only had two of these contractions, but they were so powerful, I thought they were it. I tell my daddy I'll all back if I have two more, b/c at that point, we are going to the hospital! We then realized that we didn't have diapers for the kids for bed, so he left to go get some. I had a few more contractions...breathing like a crazy person, kids running around me, Finley pushing on me...it was something! Tony returns with the diapers. I tell him we need to go as soon as possible, because I want an epidural at 6:39 (heehee), so he calls Justin to come and stay with the kids until my parents arrive. We decide to lay Finley down...and let the boys stay up until my parents get there...not sure if this was a good idea or bad. I go to lay her down and I always sing to her. I know that the contractions have become so close that I am going to have one while we are in her room, but I am hoping that maybe I won't. Not so...in the middle of Jesus Loves Me...that contraction came and I gritted through the line "yes Jesus Loves Me, yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus Loves me, for the Bible tells me so". Probably not my finest singing moment. I laid her down, came out and Justin was already here, so we let the boys stay up to wait on Grandmamma and Grandaddy and we were off to the hospital about 8:20 p.m. The rest is kind of a blur. Contractions on the way...contractions while checking in and signing papers(this is by far the most ridiculous thing that you have to sign all that junk while you are having CONTRACTIONS...they need a better system to check you in!)...contractions while in the triage room(just to be sure I was in labor...really...fourth baby...THIS IS LABOR!) So...I was not a happy camper, I just wanted an epidural and I really wanted it at like 6:30 p.m.! Tony was saying thank you to everyone b/c I think I was being rude...I just wanted them to hurry and get me checked in and they don't seem to get in a hurry! One thing I do remember clearly is that the charge nurse came in to put in my IV and she got it on the first try. Every other baby they have had to stick me at least 2 times, usually 3...so I for sure told her she rocked! I loved my 2 labor and delivery nurses...and after Sawyer was born I found out the one who helped deliver has a son in first grade at my school...talk about a small world! So....I finally got the epidural and was just waiting for the midwife to break my water(that's what they've always done to get the baby there). She checked me and said she didn't want to break my water...b/c the baby wasn't down far enough and she didn't want the cord to wrap around baby's neck. So, we just had to wait and wait. They say to rest, but when I'm having a baby...I'm so stinkin' excited to meet them, I can't sleep or rest! So...I think I talk a lot! About 11:20 p.m....I buzzed the nurse and said I felt like it might be time...she checked and said I was a 10...midwife comes in and says no...not 10, but decides to break my water...and then she was going to leave. BUT, she with a little persuasion from the nurse decides to let me try pushing...good thing, b/c a few pushes later and Mr. Sawyer Ezekiel made his appearance!



He weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and was 20 and 3/4 inches long. He had a little hair(well a little compared to Hudson and Finley) and big blue eyes. He was and is absolutely precious! Now, that he is 6 weeks old, I'll add his 1 month stats...he was 22 inches long and 12 lbs 5 and 1/2 oz. He's a great eater and super sweet baby! He loves to look around and check everything out. I think he may have smiled at me this past Sunday!
Finley is a little mother and wants to hold her baby and touch him and wakes up saying "Sawyer" just about each morning and nap time. Hudson and Walker are also smitten with their newest sibling and are great big helpers for me! Picture evidence of Finley's great love for her "baby". She is now saying "big boy", "big boy"...totally sweet!
As you can see, Finley was fine when she got the little guy and then melting down when we took him to let Walker hold him. I have since learned to give Finley the last turn b/c she doesn't like you taking the baby!

The saddest thing is that I have to go back to work this coming Monday! Talk about devastating...I am totally dreading it! He is 6 weeks old today and here are his 1 month stats...


Weight: 12 lbs. 5 1/2 oz (95 percentile)


Height:22 inches (75 percentile)


He's a great eater and a super sweet baby. He likes to look around and take everything in...so far, he doesn't seem to like baths, but I think I'm just not doing them when he's happiest...like usually trying to fit it in our schedule, so he's been awakened from sleep or is hungry. He's NOT cried for 1 bath...I should try to always do it like I did that night!

(The beautiful pics in this post were taken by Justin at http://www.375photography.com/)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I love reading all your details, I felt I was right there! And talk to me about Finley smooching her baby brother then letting y'all have it when you took him away! I'm totally laughing right now! :-)

Love you to bits Becky Dudish.

Jennifer said...

Sawyer is beautiful! I'm glad you all had a safe and healthy deliver. Your family is precious!

Amy said...

So sweet! Loved reading all the details :)
Congrats again on another sweet baby!!