Monday, December 1, 2008

My Monday morning mistake...


Let me preface this by saying that I think this is a super cute idea and we got this book the year it came out, before we had kids that would enjoy the tradition. It is written by a friend from church and her mom and it really is very sweet. You can find it at many Hallmark stores, and there's a website where you can get info about it...http://www.elfontheshelf.com/. I got it out last year and let Hudson play with the elf before I read the book that says if you touch the elf, you mess up his magic and he cannot get back to Santa. So, I just quickly put him up last year and didn't say anything else about him. Luckily, Hudson did not remember this when I pulled it out this year. I really like the tradition of naming the elf and searching for him each morning, year after year. Last night, I got him out, read the book and really talked it up to Hudson...about how we would go searching for the elf in the morning. Of course, he wanted to name our elf "Baby", but I suggested "Jingle" and he liked that. I probably should have just let him name our elf Baby...and that's what we would have called the elf for years to come, it would have been funny...but I wanted a Christmas-sounding name for the elf. So, we wrote our name in the back of the book and went to sleep with hopes to search for "Jingle" in the morning. Well...needless to say, as soon as we were done reading the book, I completely forgot all about it. But not Hudson. The first thing he said to me this morning when I went to get him...Mommy, where's Jingle...let's go find him. OH MY GOODNESS...Jingle was still sitting in his box! Trying to think quickly, I told Hudson I needed to go to the bathroom. He didn't like this answer, it's first thing in the morning, he needs to go to the bathroom, too and hestarted crying. This is not how this was supposed to go. Think of something else...let mommy go get your underwear...I ran to my room, pulled out the elf, and landed him right beside the TV in our room on the DVD player... ran back to Hudson's room with his undies, and then we went to the bathroom...all the while, I'm steering his little head so he doesn't look and find Jingle. As soon as we got Walker, we went back to my room and searched and found him. Hudson told him today that he wants veggie tales snacks and "move it, move it" snacks (Madagascar for those who don't speak kid talk). So, Jingle has sat all day on the DVD player, and Hudson looked at him after nap and said he wasn't a boy elf...he was a girl. Anyway...I say all this to say that hopefully I'll do better tomorrow and the next day...and I might have to do something where the elf just comes on Saturday and Sunday...everyday is a lot to remember...although it does make for a fun tradition and way to count down to Christmas morning!

No comments: