Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Finley is 4 months old!

Finley turned 4 months old on July 10, and I can't believe it's seriously already been four months! Time really does fly, and Miss Finley is the sweetest little thing! We went to the doctor yesterday for her four month check and she is a butterball (that we knew!) She weighs in at almost 19 lbs and is 26 1/2 inches long...that's off the charts for a 4 month old (hee hee). The past week, she's been waking up around 11-12 and wanting us to be with her, which she had previously not been doing. I found out the reason is that she now has object permanence, which I learned all about in child development classes. She now has the ability to miss us when we're not with her, so when she wakes up, she knows we're not there, whereas before she just went back to sleep, now she wants us, especially me...to NURSE! Anyway...the doctor said I should let her cry, so we decided we'd start last night. I did this with Mr. Walker and he cried or fussed maybe 15 minutes a few nights and then slept through the night. Although Finley's personality is just as laid back and sweet as his was, I had a feeling that she would not be quite as compliant, and boy was I right! She woke up about 12:15, I went in after 30 minutes, talked to her, gave her back the paci and re-swaddled her. This made her even more mad, and she cried for almost an hour more. About 1:25, she decided to give up the fight and go back to sleep. Now, I can't tell you how terribly awful this is. Baby crying b/c she wants you and you crying b/c you want her too, but you know that it's better to teach them how to sleep now than when they're bigger! So hard, this parenting thing! She woke up very happy this morning! I did nurse her at 6:30 and she went back to sleep until 10!!! She was worn out from the screaming, no doubt! Hopefully tonight will not be as hard! Here are a few pictures I took yesterday!

3 comments:

LWJ said...

It is hard...I mean I just cried my eyes out because Kylin got overtired again. Naps are a big deal! She missed one. We are going to try letting her cry at night too...Not sure I am ready for it but like you said they need their sleep. I love those pictures! She is so cuddly!

Bevo said...

AWWWWWW....SISTER!!! You are doing a great job! Maybe tonight we be better! We have been playing phone tag for the past 2 days. CALL ME!! I miss ya'll and I hope ya'll can come soon to see the house...it looks totally different now that we got everything painted and have pictures hanging and stuff! I love you!

LWJ said...

how was last night? I bet she did great!