Thursday, January 15, 2009

RSV

So, is this something that has been around for a while and is just now getting really bad? I don't remember hearing it so much as I have in the last year. When Walker was about 3 months old, he got a cold that turned into more and we had to take him to Scottish Rite one Saturday to the ER. We sat for a while for them to tell us that he had a virus like RSV, but it wasn't actually called that because it wasn't the season for RSV. The ER doc gave me a medicine for a breathing treatment, a little different than the ones we had been doing from the doctor with the nebulizer, and said we could either give him the medicine or just stop the medicines and let the virus run it's course. So, that's what I did...I stopped doing the breathing treatments and he got better. But, each time he would get a cold, it would go straight to his lungs and he would make the most horrible sound breathing...it's hard to believe that was just last year. Now, fast forward to this year. He's qualified to get an RSV vaccination, and our insurance is paying for it. And, let me just say that if the insurance wasn't paying we wouldn't be getting it! He has gotten a shot once a month since October, and he'll have one each month until March. That's 6 shots. The cost for EACH shot is $4,000.00. Yes, I did just type four thousand dollars! Can you believe it's so expensive? And, I've heard from lots of people that their insurance did not accept to cover their preemies!!! The vaccine does not keep the little ones from getting RSV, it just keeps it from being so severe if they do get it! Seriously, who could afford to give their little one this shot if their insurance didn't accept it or if they didn't have insurance?

1 comment:

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Thanks for the blog advice & for entering our giveaway! I just added ways for you to get extra enties in our giveaway...come by and check it out. Ok so I'm off to check out your blog!

Take Care
Darlene